Monday, January 18, 2010

Haiti

I know there are lots of people blogging and linking in an effort to spread awareness and generosity. There's no such thing as too much so here I am doing the same.

I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I have trouble falling asleep. My babies are safe and healthy and alive in their own beds. My family is accounted for. My community goes about the everyday business of work and productivity and relative normalcy. But Haitians won't know any of this for a long time.

I sit here as a mom who's simply one member of the watching world struggling with survivor's guilt. I want to fly down there and bind up wounds, bring home babies, and leave behind millions of dollars in aid. But I can't do any of those things so I will link to those who can.


Jenny got this site up and running overnight. You can choose a raffle to enter {great prizes donated by bloggers and others} and all the proceeds go directly to Compassion and The Red Cross. Or you can donate directly to these groups.

..............................................

I'm a big fan of World Hope International. They are also accepting donations that go directly and immediately to Haiti relief.

For an immediate donation to The Red Cross, text HAITI to 90999 and $10 will automatically go there. It will show up on your next phone bill.

..............................................



Here's a
blog written by an American family living in Haiti as missionaries. Tara and my husband were childhood friends. She succintly provides a first-hand account of what it's like there. CNN.com even did a story on them. Most importantly, she mentions how we can pray and I need that. I want to pray for specific needs and specific people. I know you do too.

...............................................

Lastly, there may be local Haitian groups in your area collecting supply donations. We are connected to a local Haitian church through my parents. This precious church was featured on the local news last night and every single person has lost family and friends. Can you imagine? Yet there they were yesterday praying and singing and telling the reporter, "God is in control."

He is.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, honey, for doing this. There are many reminders of things we cannot do . . . you have found what you can do.

    Love you forever,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!! We always feel so helpless in times like these. We all need to do just a little and it becomes enormous. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right...there's no such thing as "too much" publicity on this issue right now. Your resource recommendations are very good...and I'm going to have to check out that missionary family's blog for sure.

    You inspired me to write a post about Haiti, too, and offer some resources that I know about. I was thinking, Oh everyone has already done it already, but that's okay. Even if we reach one new person, and inspire that person to take action, it's worth it.

    Thanks for the inspiration...and for visiting my blog today!

    Michelle

    P.S. Love your profile comment, too, about finding perspective through blog-writing. Same here for this glass-half-empty girl! Isn't it funny how that works?

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin