Monday, September 20, 2010

Ode to Dessert




Recently I've been feeling a big hungry. Or at least you'd think that by reading some of my recent posts about dinner and recipes and such. Not a surprise really, considering this blog's header is nearly a life-size photo of a plate of Parisian profiteroles and my children's blog names are all a different dessert.

The last couple of weekends, however, my food mood has reached a crescendo. We trekked up to my parents' house in the mountains over Labor Day weekend and were joined by my brother and sister and their families. My little brother has become a veritable chef and brilliant baker in recent years and we are the lucky {and slightly bloated} recipients of his culinary skills.



He brings his own equipment.






He concocts stuff that requires thermometers.

Stuff like salted caramel as a layer between decadent chocolate cake and whipped chocolate ganache frosting.





He zested an entire bag of lemons while watching football and made not one, not two, but three deserts in less than 24 hours.

I'm in a sugar-induced coma just writing this.

Over the weekend we were all together again for my niece's birthday and my sister commissioned him to make gourmet cupcakes with homemade buttercream frosting.


Seriously people, he spent all afternoon making these to-die-for Martha Stewart cupcakes. {Martha would have been so impressed.} I lost all decorum and licked the bowl at one point. {Martha would have so not been impressed.} I was willing to take my chances with salmonella. Sometimes the batter is worth it.


There's something about being with people I love that makes food taste better. Somehow it seems celebratory instead of indulgent. Maybe that's why there are so many allusions in Scripture about Heaven being a great feast.

{A low-country boil for my Papa's 86th birthday on Labor Day weekend}

Feasting and family just seem to go hand in hand.

As I've watched my brother in the kitchen with his thermometers and gadgets and fancy ingredients, I've realized that some things really are worth the effort. The stuff he makes is so good I want to stand up and applaud.

These days I'm always in such a hurry to get people fed and move on to the next thing...it's just the season I'm in.

But every now and then I think it's worth it to slow down and get a little fancy.

Taking time to lovingly create something extraordinary...it's a "good thing."


{You honestly didn't think I'd pass up an opportunity to post Cupcake eating a Cupcake, did you?}

............................................

Unwrapping Cupcakes with Emily.

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

5 comments:

  1. I really love your blog. Looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, slowing down and getting fancy is so important. Every once in a while I surprise the kids with a fancy dinner (table set, candles, nice napkins, etc) They love it-and I always remember that I need to do it more often, just because.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scooper,
    I love the photo of your niece stuffing the cupcake in her mouth. Her hands are sticky and her shirt is smeared. Your sister may not be happy about the extra laundry, but the photo is priceless.
    I'm so glad you captured Cupcake with one of the cupcakes, too. His expression is precious, (can a boy be precious?)
    You are blessed to be celebrating so many milestones with family. Cherish those times.
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those cupcakes look divine! It's making me want some of our tartuffo. Do you think Aaron would attempt something like that for us? You know I would drive however long it would take to get a piece. Do you think I've glorified it in my mind? Was it really as good as we thought?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL..ok you had me laughing...and longing for a cupcake!! YUM! Great pictures too!!! You captured the cupcake! =)
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin