Friday, January 31, 2014

For Your Weekend: The Popcorn That Has Yet to Be Named. And Some Hot Chocolate.




What do you know, a food post. I told you Wednesday that the writerly well was dry. This means you get a post about food.

I've started making this popcorn on a weekly basis for our family movie night. 






I fill each of the kids' bowls with the marshmallowy popcorn goodness and then I sit down on the sofa with the actual pot as my bowl. I wish I was joking. I'm aware of how uncouth and gluttonous this is. Something about this popcorn tempts me like nothing else. 

I found it on Pinterest a long time ago {cannot find original source} but have since tweaked it. You can make it in the microwave but I think it's easier on the stove. Let's call this Cheaters' "Caramel" Popcorn, shall we? {That's because it's not real caramel...I don't think. I honestly don't know how one makes real caramel.} My kids call it Movie Night Popcorn or Magic Popcorn or The Special Popcorn.




Ingredients:

  • 1 regular size bag of microwave popcorn {I use Orville Reddenbacher Naturals, Simply Salted.} You don't want movie theatre butter or anything like that. You want a plain or lightly-salted variety.
  • 10-12 full-size marshmallows
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 stick of butter {I use unsalted}


Directions:

  • Pop the popcorn.
  • Melt butter in a large saucepan over low-medium heat.
  • Stir in brown sugar and then marshmallows until it's nicely mixed and bubbly.
  • Remove from heat and stir in popcorn until it's good and coated.
  • Put on elastic-waist pants and enjoy.

I've posted this next recipe before but it bears reposting. We have thoroughly enjoyed this hot cocoa the last few days with the kids out of school for "snow days." Our yard looks like it was sprinkled with powdered sugar but here in the school, that's cause for early dismissal {at the first mention of flurries} and two whole days off. Our kids have been sledding on cold grass and dirt. 

So here's our "snow" day favorite for warming up frost-bitten kiddos. I found it on Martha Stewart's web-site several years ago but don't let that fool you. It's totally easy and uses ingredients you can actually pronounce and probably have in your pantry.


Homemade Hot Chocolate




Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 1/4 cups cocoa
  • 1 tablespoon table salt
  • Whole milk for serving
This mix will keep all winter if stored in an airtight container.

Directions:
  • In a large bowl, combine sugar, cocoa, and salt, and whisk to combine well. Store the mixture in an airtight container.
  • For individual servings, pour 1 cup whole milk into a microwave-safe mug, and microwave on high just until hot. Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa mix, and stir to dissolve. For a larger batch of cocoa, warm the milk in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil; as it warms, stir in 2 tablespoons of mix for each cup of milk.

::


And there you have it. A little sweet and salty goodness for your winter weekend. I'm all about these easy favorites that have a way of becoming their own family traditions. 

Now it's your turn. Any easy weekend family favorites going on in your house? Let's dish in the comments.


Interested in having each post from a la mode delivered to your e-mail inbox? You can do that near the top of the right sidebar. Just enter your e-mail address in the subscribe box. You can unsubscribe anytime you like. 


3 comments:

  1. "Put on elastic-waist pants and enjoy"....I laughed out loud! Can't wait to try this popcorn. We are getting another 6-9 inches of the white stuff tonight and tomorrow....and more is due next week. Might as well eat this popcorn....wearing my elastic waisted pants and all. Nothing else to do but wait it out. Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolly, elastic-waistband-wearers unite! Hope you enjoy a cozy weekend and this popcorn. : )

      Delete
  2. That popcorn looks oh so yummy! I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin