Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Late Bloomer



I love lush flowering gardens. But I do not have a good track record with growing things. I forget to water.

I also have perfectionistic tendencies. I'm a bit all-or-nothing-ish. I salivate over cottage gardens in Southern Living. I have nearly been run over while absentmindedly strolling through old neighborhoods. The ones with ginormous maple trees and perennials as old as I am. The ones with ivy climbing the aged brick walls.

As I've mentioned, I live in a little vinyl-sided neighborhood that's sort of in the country. Our yard was formerly a field. Actually, it still is.

And because I don't know how to grow maples overnight and cultivate cottage gardens, I do nothing. Or at least I did.

But times, they are a changin'.

No more excuses.

I have 3 kids. I homeschool.

I have laundry and dishes and cooking. No time for gardening.

I don't have a green thumb.

I don't have a landscaping budget.

Enough.

I've been weeding. Turns out that I love it. Something about getting at the root of something and yanking it out that's gratifying.

I've planted dozens of free bulbs and tubers that a friend gave me for free.

I've dug a few little beds.

I've squealed with delight upon finding a fat juicy worm to show the kids.

The laundry can wait but as my gardening friend says, "The soil is dying to produce!"

Just today, I spent hours outside weeding and watering and planting. The older kids rode bikes around me and Cupcake helped out by eating excess potting soil.

My little plot of former field isn't exactly pretty yet. Southern Living has not come calling.

But better to bloom late than not at all.

..........................................................

Stay tuned for a post later this week on painted pots. Cheap, tacky plastic pots were no match for me and my spray paint.

This post is part of Emily's Tuesdays Unwrapped. Check it out.

6 comments:

  1. Great article, my thumb went from black to green when I was 35 and I have never regretted it. There is a lot of peace in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. i used to have a card that said "bloom where your planted" and we might add "even in Liberty." :)

    amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, glad you're diving in! I used to be scared of gardening too, figured I would never match what my Mom used to do. But me and DH have just done little bits here and there and now we have a pretty happy yard and veggie garden. Keep at it -- the results are so worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for starting your own garden! I, too, am clueless, but hoping to start soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to weed also!! I discovered that years ago. I hope you have fun! Our flower beds are a work in progress, as I'm sure you've seen on my blog, but I did get a compliment on my front beds today and that made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell you, you will grow as your plants grow. And your muscles will grow, and your patience, and it only gets more and more exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin