Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vacation

I just returned from my annual trip to Hilton Head Island with The Man, our kids, and the rest of my family. Eighteen of us to be exact. My mom, dad, two brothers, one sister, their spouses and most adorable children. 

The Man and I first came here back in August of 1995 for our honeymoon. HHI set record hot temperatures that week. But we hardly noticed. We were young and in love and setting record hot temps ourselves. (Yes, I know this is a family blog.)

We fell in love with the South Carolina island and told my parents it would be a fun place to vacation as a family. Long story short: we've been coming here together for 12 years. Back then there were no children and I, as the eldest of four, was the only one married. 

Vacations here were glorious. The guys enjoyed golf while the girls enjoyed shopping. We read fashion magazines on the beach and sunned by the pool. We all played bocce for hours on end and went out to dinner at night. But this sort of indulgence and ridiculous leisure cannot last forever. 

Now, with eight children in all and six under the age of 3 1/2, we do not enjoy golf or shopping or leisure. But we do enjoy each other

And the week is still glorious...but louder than it used to be.

Here are a few of my favorite photos, taken with my new camera. (I hope you're reading this Camera Fairy.)

..............................................................................

Our ever-growing crew...baby #9 coming any day!




My brother assures me that he can photo-shop my hair in this picture. I am much obliged seeing that all our other family photos feature an angry Cupcake. Poor thing. He got sick right after vacation started. Very, very sick.




See how happy he is here...




And here.



And here.




Here's a few of our happier moments.











I have the best nieces and nephews. I snapped almost as many photos of them as I did of my own children.





Cannot. Even. Handle. This.




Seriously, I have not seen such deliciousness in all my life.



And this...




am going to have another girl just for the baby swimwear collections. Ruffles never looked so good. It's like polka-dotted icing atop the fattest, most scrumptious truffle I've ever seen.




One of my sweet nephews and his band-aid. And a poor starfish. This unsuspecting creature had no idea he was about to be plucked from his ocean home and land in the grip of an excitable 3-year-old.



Until next year...

12 comments:

  1. LOVE your pictures!!! Those babies are just too precious. I can't wait to break out the ruffle bottoms this summer. :) Your kiddos are absolutely adorable. I so wish my family did stuff like this, but my husband doesn't like to take off work. Like, ever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog via Handed Down Treasures, one of your followers. Your blog is so cute and I like the theme! Your photos that you share of your family are beautiful!
    I too love Paris and am a Believer. It seems we have a lot in common. Have a blessed day. Feel free to skip over to A la parisienne. On Fridays I give free French lessons:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the camera fairy thinks you take great pictures. How fun to have a new toy for the trip this year. I'm thinking of renting one of those big boy lenses for our trip to the beach. Going to check on the price anyway.
    Glad you are back. Missed you and drove through your neighborhood looking for a friends missing chihuahua two days in a row. Let me know if you see the tiny precious thing anywhere.
    There was someone there mowing your yard and I wondered if you were vacationing without THE MAN or if some sweet neighbor was cutting grass for you.
    IN Him,
    The Camera Fairy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How you have captured the preciousness of all these grands! Let's go back . . . soon . . . very soon . . . like, this week!

    Love you forever,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Marian

    I have been anxiously awaiting the "annual pictures." Did cupcake do okay around the other babies??!!! I hope so. Those have to be the most handsome and adorable kids on the face of the planet, but I'm their great Aunt so maybe I'm just a little bias.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the visit. :) I am so glad I'm not the only one whose husband doesn't get away from work very often--makes me feel like I'm not alone. ;) Those flower hair bow thingies were soooo easy to do. If I can do it, anyone can...I have a low threshold for patience. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scooper,
    Thanks for sharing your time in HHI. In spite of Cupcake's sickness, you all do look like there was fun had by all.
    What a beautiful family you have.
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots! Love those photos. I feel like you just described my life! We will be going to HHI in about a month. Can't wait. Your post makes me look forward to it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful pictures - looks like a fantastic place to vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved that hiney and back of the legs shot! So scrumptious on a baby. Too bad I still look like that now.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin