Friday, May 8, 2009

Thrifty Inspiration



I haven't been thrifting much lately. Truth is, even thrift stores and yard sales aren't free. And the more shameful truth is that I can get a little carried away with my bargains and still waste money...which ends up not being thrifty.

But one of my favorite local haunts beckoned me last week. My favorite score, you ask? The mother lode of magazines. And at 10 cents a piece, I did what any woman would do. I bought forty.

You read it right. Forty. And though I am probably insane for hauling home 40 magazines, I rationalized that 40 at 10 cents is still less than one in the checkout line. This is how I justified a hernia-inducing load of magazines to The Man...who just smiled and shook his head.

They were all published within the last year too! Country Living, Martha, Coastal Living, Better Homes & Gardens, etc. As much as I love my favorite decorating blogs and seeing real people spruce up real homes and real furniture, I'm still a sucker for pretty magazines. There's nothing like a cup of coffee and page after glossy page of hydrangea-laden tablescapes and dreamy cottages.

And after I'm all inspired and ready for some new reads, I'll just recycle my 40 magazines by delivering them back to the same thrift store. Because I'm green like that.

So the next time you're tempted to spend $5 on that pretty magazine in the checkout line, don't! Get in the car, drive to your nearest thrift store, and get yourself a Southern Living. Or 40.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I have a pile of SL, Cottage Living, Parents, etc. etc. that I can't get rid of. NO ONE in my MOPS group wants 'em. One friend took a few. They're in good condition and everything! I was just going to throw away the rest...now I know where to take them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does your local library or Goodwill take them? Our library has a free box -- you take your address off the magazine and dump it there. You can pick up as many as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I am SERIOUSLY jealous. I've never seen mags at the thrift store. You can bet I'll be looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is just great....I LOVE IT!! 40 - I need a few for my weekend at the beach. Can I just have oh, ten and call it even? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about getting carried away with bargains - it's kind of embarrassing to think of all the stuff I've bought over the years, that I've never even used, just because it was on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you said, "because I'm green like that."
    My favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin