Thursday, April 26, 2012

Dish: "Hopelessly Devoted to You..."



Today's Dish is inspired by a collection of random items strewn about the middle console of my van. A woman's van {or her SUV, crossover, sedan-type vehicle that is obviously cooler than my minivan} is a lot like her purse. And you can certainly learn a lot about a gal from the contents of her handbag. Or in this case, her minivan. 

So here's a rundown of that which I am hopelessly devoted to {that was also sitting in my minivan when I decided to write this post.}

Via: I've written plenty about my abiding love of all things Starbucks. These little Via packs have changed my life. 


I'm the only coffee drinker in my home so there is rarely a need to brew an entire pot. Though instant coffee has heretofore been a loathsome brew {Sanka anyone?}, leave it to Starbucks to redeem dissolving coffee granules. My favorite is Italian Roast. 

The Gold Card: My running partner and I stop at our local Starbucks after every run for our post-workout reward. {I get the bold blend, tall in a grande cup....plenty of room for the add-in's.} As I've said before, it's cheaper than a gym membership and it feels like being rewarded for waking up and hitting the pavement before the sun comes up. Several years ago I registered my Starbucks card and once you hit 30 drinks, they send you one of these.

{Cue the angelic voices singing down from Heaven.}


It's a Starbucks card. That is gold. And has my name on it. They send me free drink coupons on my birthday and after I've had 15 coffees. And sometimes they send me other delightful free coupons and I do so love getting mail from Starbucks. {You're welcome, Starbucks, for 3 paragraphs of free advertising even though you are already rich enough to take over the world.}

Books on CD: Several years ago I started checking out books on CD from the library. Frequently I wouldn't finish them because honestly, how often was I alone in my van or in my house? Not often enough. But since I sent my kids to school I have loads of time alone in my van and it is a beautiful thing. When I'm not sitting in the complete silence and enjoying the tranquility of the moment, I listen to books. You've heard the phrase, So many books, so little time. Well, books on CD help with that. Right now I'm "reading" Life of Pi.


The Running Skirt: I bought a super fun souvenir on our trip to Tennessee over Spring Break. 


It's a skirt.

That you can run in!

Yes, it's a running skirt. And while I do realize I am not on the cutting edge of athletic fashion here {running skirts have been around for a while}, it's my first one and I am in love. It's hot pink, it's stretchy, it has shorts underneath {also stretchy}, and when I put it on I don't want to take it off. Ever. Last week I'd been in it all day and we had the middle school open house that evening. My daughter said to me, Mom, please tell me you're not wearing the running skirt to the open house. You'll be glad to know that I did not. 

But truly, I am in love with the running skirt. I'm convinced that I run faster and I will probably buy one or six more. After all, why should the tennis players get all the cute athletic wear?

{Technically I do not keep the skirt in my van. But I am hopelessly devoted to it and that's why it's thrown in the mix.}

And last but not least, Adele


Her CD is in my van at. all. times. I've been a fan of hers for a couple of years now and my love for her has only grown. She's just amazing, a true talent in a sea of manufactured, ridiculous, lesser songstresses. 

............................

And on a more sentimental note, thank you, all of you, for your unbelievably thoughtful words on my last post

I'm reminded of a quote by Thomas Paine: These are the times that try men's souls. In my own words: These are the decisions that try a mama's soul. 

I guess quite a few of you totally get that. Thanks for making this place feel like a sweet and kindred community.

..............................

Okay, now it's your turn. What are you hopelessly devoted to?

4 comments:

  1. First, I love Adele, very much so.

    And my running skirt is my all time favorite clothing item. I know what you mean.

    I am totally devoted to a brand new turquoise travel mug(for all my starbucks) and cereal for an afternoon snack.

    And why don't I have the starbucks card!?! I am missing out on so much....must remedy that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1)The Gold Starbucks Card is worth obtaining, definitely. I add the same dollar amount to my card each month and my "Tall Non-Fat Extra Hot Latte" is my weekly pleasure. It's the best way for me to budget this indulgence!
    2)Podcasts on my iPod that include many classic books, read chapter by chapter -- FREE from iTunes.
    3)Taking a different route to/from week each day to enjoy the neighbor I live in.
    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not all in my van, but right now addicted to

    1) Music: Gotye (Making Mirrors)....incredibly talented!
    2) Lindt chocolate from Amazing Savings (I think I got it for $1.29 a bar!) score!!
    3) Draw Something...it's an app similar to Pictionary and it's highly addicting and so so fun!

    ;)
    Amy Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am devoted to having the largest collection of trash and the most disgusting cup holders in the universe.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin