Friday, April 6, 2012

Dish




For a woman of leisure, I have sure been busy. And also a bit scattered. Apparently I'm a complete rookie at finding balance and rhythm. As is the case with most of us, I learn best by doing it wrong and reaching the end of myself. Even though I've been married for 16 years and a mom for 11, this is my first time to ever be at home without kids and without a {paying} job. I'm a bona fide "homemaker" and nothing in school prepared me to get this right.  

Thank goodness for grace. And also a change of scenery.

We just returned from a lovely, fun-filled few days with my husband's side of the family. We traveled from three different states and met up in a big cabin in the mountains of Tennessee. 

There was hiking and shopping, golfing and ice cream, coffee and air hockey. Even though the cabin felt remote-ish {in a good way}, we were still within 10-15 minutes of Starbucks. And Krispy Kreme. And Ben & Jerry's. I know, it's a culinary trifecta. 

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law invited my husband and me on a "little hike" Tuesday morning. I love hiking. My husband? Not so much. Which is ironic really...because he can run mile after mile at breakneck speed and barely be winded, yet hiking wears him out. That's because walking evidently makes him more tired than running. How weird is that? {We should all be so lucky.} So all of that to say, this particular hike was a labor of love. 

But back to the hike. Y'all. This hike was not for the faint of heart. It was four miles of steep, rough-ish terrain {in parts} and also absolutely beautiful. Much ado was made about the view from the top. I envisioned a meadowy summit of wildflowers, the sort of place one could enjoy a picnic. Or a nap. 

Well. If we had seen this sign at the beginning of hike, we would have known otherwise. As luck would have it, we saw it at the end. 


There was no meadow, only a jaggedy cliff of sheer rock. And guess who made it furthest up the summit?


You guessed it. The non-hiker.

What you don't see on either side of him is sky. Sky that you fall through as you plunge to your death. Where are the guard rails, people? 

Obviously we made it home alive and had lots of fun stories to tell. The great thing about hiking is that there's nothing to do while you hike but talk. {And also take pictures.} It was a super fun bonding experience for the four of us and the inside-jokes will live on forever.  

{More pics of our treacherous climb hike.}



Moving on from vacation, I have to tell you about my 4-year-old. He has resorted to something I affectionately refer to as "Owl-Speak." Every question begins with "Who" and it is both odd and funny. And mildly disrespectful.

Who can get me some ice water? Who?

Who can press "play" for me? Who?

Who wants to fix me a snack? Who wants to?

Who can wipe my bottom? Who?

Who has food for me? Who?

It's as if every need and desire is an open casting call and surely everyone within earshot is vying for the role of snack-fixer. Or bum-wiper. 

Oh it is just the craziest thing. Which is fitting...because he is sort of a crazy character.


So that's the scoop around here. I hope you all have a blessed weekend, one that is full in every way. And if you're lucky, you may have a crazy toddler cowboy audition you for the role of pressing "play." 

5 comments:

  1. I just laughed so hard at how your 4 year old asks for help! It sounds a lot like my 5.5 year old. Except, he says "I wish..." Like "I wish *I* could have a cookie." Like he's Oliver Twist or something. And in more important news, the new Greater's has opened and it's even closer than the old one. A national championship and Greater's return all in the same week. It's been a good time around Lexington. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT is the best.picture.ever!!!! I love it! That boy is always wearing a hat (or a medal)....what in the world is he going to grow up to be? :) hahaha! Love it!

    Amy Z Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

    That's one for every time I burst into really loud laughter.

    LYF,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Scooper,

    "Homemaker" and "woman of leisure" don't belong in the same paragraph! Isn't it funny that some people see it that way?

    That said, I loved your pictures. Hiking is wonderful, isn't it? Visiting, exercising, seeing the beauty of nature. The picture of your little one is darling.
    Love,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Various insurer offerings we provide will allow discounts for lmileage that is limited and covered.
    montclair

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin